Friday, May 22, 2020

A Mayor in Lockdown!



Rosemary Bolton writes:

You are probably aware that my term of office as Mayor finished on the 21st May.  It has been the most tremendous honour and privilege; I am so proud to have had the opportunity and have loved it.

Before I was sworn in Bishop Michael gave me some memorable and extremely pertinent advice.  He said that this would be my opportunity to thank everyone, and that I could make a difference to people’s lives, just by thanking them.  It sounds extraordinary, why should one person’s thanks matter.  However, there is a reason why Bishop Michael is a bishop… he is very wise.  Most volunteers aren’t thanked, or don’t feel as if they are, perhaps they missed the memo from on high, but they do like being appreciated and hearing someone thank them.

I have made it a mission in my Mayoral year to thank everyone, and I mean everyone I could.  We live in a wonderful community, full of kind and generous people, they give of their time and talents willingly, and donate to charity as much as they are able.  It has been a joy to be able to observe our volunteers, charities, businesses and organisations at work, quietly making life better without making a fuss. 

Our upbringing and Christian faith make us humble, all the volunteers I have met do not like to acknowledge the difference they are making to their community, they are reticent to accept how important they are.  That is why it is vital to keep thanking them and I’m sure that some of them are probably heartily sick of me by now. The Hertford St John Ambulance team definitely are, they attend every public event and I thank them every time, because they deserve it.

It came as a shock to all of us when Covid 19 came slithering into our lives, like a cold, unpleasant fog of fear, driving us all into our homes, fearful of catching or spreading the virus.  But God’s light and rainbow of hope has shone through, and we have felt the uplifting joy of our community working together, finding coping strategies, helping each other and sharing the love. Friends, neighbours and strangers are taking care of others, and enjoying the experience.

And here is my lockdown dilemma, for the last three months of my Mayoral year I have struggled to be able to thank people for making the effort, to be able to acknowledge the Hertford Heroes, just when they deserve the recognition most.  It is frustrating.  The planned receptions for volunteers had to be cancelled, press releases are buried under more important news, social media moves on a pace and no one can keep up.  It is most definitely not ‘all about me’ nor should it be.

However, I can send a message to whoever is reading this blog… I know that you, in your own way, are important and making a real difference to someone, and I would like to send you a personal message to say THANK YOU! And I genuinely mean it, not just because the Bishop told me to!
THANK YOU!


A Celtic Morning Prayer

Thank you Lord.
I dwell upon the goodness in my life. Thank you.
I cherish in my heart Your gift to me. Thank you.
For all the people that I meet. Thank you. 
I notice the blessings of life, breath, loving and sharing.
                            I am so very grateful. Thank you, Lord

1 comment: