Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Helplessness

 


“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God. It changes me.” C.S. Lewis

Last night after hearing the news that the virus is spreading again at such a high rate that numbers of people meeting will be limited to six inside and outdoors, the vaccine trial had been halted in Oxford as an adverse response may have been triggered, a neighbour’s house burnt down. In the middle of the night, the sound of falling and breaking masonry, huge fire hoses, firefighters shouting instructions to one another and the sight of flames and smoke going high above the rooftops, just made one feel utterly helpless. We stood there shocked, watching and praying.



Feelings of helplessness make it difficult to focus on anything, our lives feel as though we are on hold so we stand rigidly, physically holding in too much breath, helpless and hopeless. There are so many things which can cause us to feel helpless when there is – regrettably – no realistic way of changing the situation. Yet to go on trusting and praying is the Christian response to a crisis, and as C.S. says, ultimately we are helpless and in need, but turning to God means that we know we are loved and held through all things and that by His power we can be changed to be more like Him in his compassion and love.

Last night all I could do was watch and pray and this verse came to mind:  Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus’. Philippians 4: 7




1 comment: