Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Open Church

Yesterday we went into All Saints to film prayers ready for Sunday morning’s YouTube service. It felt inspirational to be there, especially as it has been thoroughly cleansed and has sanitisers, markings and guidance ready for people to come in and use the building.


Today (Thursday) sees the church open for the first time in months, from 10.00am – 12.00, and anyone is welcome to come along (unless the numbers entering become too high, of course!). We hope it marks a gentle first step back towards resuming worship together – but tomorrow it is simply for Private Prayer.


I notice that our Muslim brethren are uncertain about returning to mosques as they feel that their worship must be communal. I rather share that view, as we can pray anywhere – and should – but for shared worship we obviously need to be …… together. Nevertheless, an opportunity to come to a familiar spiritual space to seek afresh the presence of the God whom we worship is welcome.


If you come tomorrow, you may wonder what is expected. Can I only enter if I make it clear that I am praying, do I have to kneel or bow the whole time – how do I justify being there? Of course you can “look prayerful” in some way the whole time if you wish, but the sense of wanting to reconnect with the faith community, our brothers and sisters, to be in the Holy Presence, to be still enough, aware enough, of the peace which God offers is sufficient.


I love Psalm 122 which speaks of the people of Israel ascending the hill to Jerusalem and its temple, a sacred space for encountering the Lord in company with many others. I must admit that I think about it most of all when we have parked the car near the Fitness Centre in St Albans and take the path up to the Abbey. And the psalm speaks above all of gladness and God’s goodness – and of peace for the community and for every human heart.


I was glad when they said unto me 
 We will go into the house of the Lord.
  Our feet shall stand in thy gates 
 O Jerusalem.
  Jerusalem is built as a city 
 that is at unity in itself.
  For thither the tribes go up, even the tribes of the Lord 
 to testify unto Israel, to give thanks unto the Name of the Lord.
  For there is the seat of judgement 
 even the seat of the house of David.
  O pray for the peace of Jerusalem 
 they shall prosper that love thee.
  Peace be within thy walls 
 and plenteousness within thy palaces.
  For my brethren and companions’ sakes 
 I will wish thee prosperity.
  Yea, because of the house of the Lord our God
 I will seek to do thee good.


No comments:

Post a Comment