Saturday, October 31, 2020

PC Gary Bentley reflects

 



A I’ve been a police officer a lot longer than I’ve been a Christian- I got confirmed in rank in 2002. I got confirmed as a Christian in 2016. I had a Christian upbringing and I led what I felt was a decent life, but I hadn’t opened the door to Jesus and I only called upon him in prayer if I was worried about something. As an adult I never prayed to say thank you, I didn’t go to church and I never read a bible.

Then in 2014 I went to Kenya for my 40th birthday and took an anti-malaria tablet which went on to give me side effects of depression and anxiety which I lived with for the best part of two years. In all the years of policing I had never been as frightened as I was when I became depressed. It was the unknown, a battle I didn’t know how to win. Having dealt with many suicides in my career I began to fear if that was a path I might travel down. When I learned the truth, that God loved me, that He had put me here and He had a purpose for me, life became bearable, then I stopped just existing and started living again. My days became filled with joy not despair. I can’t thank God enough for what he has done for me. I now listen to God’s Truth and not the enemy’s lies!




So now I am not just a police officer but also a Christian. How does that work? Police officers, whether Christian or not, join up because God has put into their hearts a desire to help others, to make a difference, to put something back into their communities. So you are already looking to follow a lot of Jesus commandments, whether you realise that fact or not! We swear an oath when we join and many of the things we are swearing to do are about showing integrity, according equal respect to all people, preventing offences against people and property.



My favourite link between the bible and policing however is the story of the Good Samaritan. (Luke 10:25-37) The man who had been robbed and left to die was a Jew, the man who stopped to help was a Samaritan. It means nothing if you purposefully ignore a hurting soul. Love your neighbour. Police officers mirror this man’s actions. We don’t pick and choose who we help. We signed up to protect, to treat people with equal respect and so even if the person in front of us has been physically or verbally abusing us only moments before, we will help them. We put ourselves in danger, like the Samaritan.

As a Christian in the police we can’t easily share the Gospel. Politics and religion are two areas we aren’t allowed to share opinions on. However other officers often ask me about my faith and I can then share my journey story and how God has saved me. I have a tattoo on my right forearm of Ephesians 2:8 and I wear my CPA lanyard. Both are conversation starters. We are planting the seed of the kingdom by sharing our own experiences, by living righteous lives which these people will take notice of, and God will do the rest. 

From a reflection given By PC Gary Bentley at All Saints 25th October 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment