Thursday, July 16, 2020

Encircling Compassion


Encircling prayer involves simply drawing a circle around yourself or another person physically or in your imagination. It is grounded in our awareness of the constant companionship and protection of the divine. It reminds us that God is in this place.

Often, as they embarked on journeys or felt at risk, Celtic pilgrims would inscribe a circle around themselves as a reminder of God’s ever-present companionship and protection.

 

 

 Practicing the encircling prayer is simple. By pausing and taking a moment, draw a holy circle around yourself or, imaginatively, around the person or situation that you are concerned about.

One traditional prayer of encompassing invokes our awareness of our ever-present Companion with these words:

The God of the Elements’ guarding,
The loving Christ’s guarding,
The Holy Spirit’s guarding,
Be cherishing me, be aiding me.

The more well-known circling prayer involves repeating sections of the prayer attributed to St. Patrick:

Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me,
Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, 
Christ to comfort me and restore me, Christ beneath me, 
Christ above me, Christ in the hearts of all that love me,
Christ in the mouth of friend and stranger.

A contemporary prayer of encompassing proclaims the loving nearness of God in every situation:

Circle of love,
Open my heart.
Circle of wisdom, 
Enlighten my mind.
Circle of trust,
Protect my path.
Circle of healing, 
Grant me new life.

An important element in the spiritual journey is our blessing of others. To bless another is simply to place them in our hearts with the intention that they be surrounded, enlightened, and inspired in body, mind, and spirit by the Encompassing Love of God.


Circle of love
Encompass ……...
May your love well up within them.
May your passion enlighten them.
Circle of healing
Encompass…………..
May your healing touch rest upon them.

Circle of protection
Encompass………………

Surround ……………… with your eternal safety
Protect them from all temptations and ills
Give them courage and strength
To live always from Your safe and powerful centre.

This Celtic prayer gives us a sense of divine presence and nurtures us on our way as we are guided by the encircling companionship of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment