Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Fairlands

 

 


                                        FAIRLANDS VALLEY PARK

 

Annemarie writes: This is a much visited and valued oasis in the middle of Stevenage. It is a great place for an easy walk with smooth asphalt paths around the large lake in a lovely, varied environment. There’s free parking and it’s suitable for all!

 

The poem is by the Peasant Poet John Clare

It could also be used as a prayer. 




 

Thy mercy covers earth and sky

 

Thy mercy covers earth and sky,

Thy love is everywhere,

Lord thou art rich, and so shall I

If thou my wish wilt hear.

 

Lord let thy love and mercy grant

Not what the rich pursue,

But just an honest start of want,

And I am wealthy too.

 

Nor let my heart ungodly be

To slight the little sent,

But feeling blessings come from thee

Be happily content.

 

And if too covetous I grow

Excuse a greedy prayer,

I crave what wealth can ne’er bestow,

And thou alone canst spare.

 

I crave the guidance of thy will,

The bliss of human kind,

A harmless heart afraid of ill,

And a contented mind.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment