Monday, November 16, 2020

The Road less Taken


 

Annemarie Parker sent these pictures of her walk and writes:

Golden Valley is part of the National Trust  Ashridge Estate near Little Gaddesden in Hertfordshire.  This is very near to the little Whipsnade Church where I previously worshipped.

Lancelot "Capability" Brown designed this valley which is considered one of his greatest achievements not just due to the impressive view but the clever design.  The sloping and gentle bends look as though they go on endlessly but in reality are quite short. It is a lovely walk in all seasons but glorious particularly in the autumn. I have walked down this valley hundreds of times and always find myself at peace in God’s beautiful world.  I took this walk again just before lockdown.

As I walked I often found myself singing hymns or reciting my favourite poem by Robert Frost “The road less taken”.      

 

 


The Road Not Taken  by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveller, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

 

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

 

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

 

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less travelled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Psalm 25:4-5

Show me the right path O Lord;

point out the road for me to follow.

Lead me by your truth and teach me,

for you are the God who saves me.

All day long I put my hope in you.


No comments:

Post a Comment