Tuesday, March 23, 2021

One Year

 

Prayers and Bible readings for the National Day of Reflection

Tuesday 23rd March


 


We are invited to put a lit candle (safely) in a window of our

home, at 8pm. These prayers can be used at that time, or at any

other time that feels appropriate.

 

God of Love,

As we think about all that has changed this year,

help us to trust that you are always with us.

As we remember those who have died,

help us to trust they are at peace with you.

As we reach out to others with kindness and care,

may hope shine out in every heart and home.

Amen




 Bible Passages of Comfort

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;

therefore can I lack nothing.

He makes me lie down in green pastures

and leads me beside still waters.

He shall refresh my soul

and guide me in the paths of righteousness for his

name’s sake.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil;

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You spread a table before me

in the presence of those who trouble me;

you have anointed my head with oil

and my cup shall be full.

Surely goodness and loving mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

 

Matthew 11.28-30

 

Jesus says, ‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are

carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my

yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and

humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For

my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’

 

 

Romans 8.38-39

I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor

rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor

powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all

creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God

in Christ Jesus our Lord.




Prayers

 

Loving God,

You hold all our times in your hands,

our past, our present, our future.

Be close to us now as we remember

all the difficulties and disappointments of the past year.

Be especially close to all of us

who are thinking of someone we loved and knew,

but see no longer,

whether family, friend, colleague or neighbour.

Help us to trust that they are at peace with you,

and comfort us with your presence. Amen.

 

A prayer for all who mourn

Gracious God,

as we remember before you

the thousands who have died,

surround us and all who mourn

with your strong compassion.

Be gentle with us in our grief,

protect us from despair,

and give us grace to persevere

and face the future with hope

in Jesus Christ our risen Lord.

Amen.




 

A prayer for all those affected by coronavirus

Keep us, good Lord,

under the shadow of your mercy

in this time of uncertainty and distress.

Sustain and support the anxious and fearful,

and lift up all who are brought low;

that we may rejoice in your comfort

knowing that nothing can separate us

from your love in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

 

Loving God,

You place us in families and communities,

and we give you thanks for all those around us

who serve us and help us in so many ways.

Give wisdom to community leaders,

to our schools, hospitals, care homes and other agencies

who make a difference to our lives.

Help each of us to have the courage

to reach out with thanks and kindness to those around us

and to speak words of faith

as we share the good news of your love. Amen.

HOPE

Loving God,

As we journey towards Easter, help us to live as people of hope,

knowing that beyond the pain of the cross

lies the joy of resurrection.

Inspire us in our worship,

through our churches and in our homes,

that we may bring glory to you and joy to others.

Be with those who are struggling in mind, body or spirit,

and give courage to those

who are facing uncertainty and change ahead.

Help each of us to keep our eyes fixed on you,

that we may reflect your light to all whom we meet. Amen.

 

A special version of the Lord’s Prayer:

 

Divine mother, divine father:

to be in you is to be in heaven.

May we hear the wonder that echoes in your name.

May we accept no rule but the rule of love.

May we never tolerate the evil of hunger.

May the hurts we cause be forgiven

and the hurts we receive be healed.

May we remember that we are fragile

and cherish the life we share with all.

For all love and life and power

is the gift of the Spirit

Amen.



 

Sharing the light

We may place a lighted candle at this point

 

Lord Jesus Christ,

when fear and anxiety besiege us

and hope is veiled in grief,

hold us in your wounded hands

and make your face shine on us again,

for you are our Lord and God.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment