Sunday, March 28, 2021

Palm Sunday

 

                                                           All Saints Palm Sunday 2021 

Palm Sunday Readings: Isaiah 50:4–9a, Philippians 2:5–11 The Liturgy of the Palms; Mark 11:1–11 Jesus and his disciples head out of Jericho and begin the twelve-mile walk to Jerusalem for the Passover. It’s uphill, dusty and even for hardened travellers, it’s a bit of a slog. Once they reach the suburbs with just a couple of miles to go, Jesus sends two of the disciples to find a colt that has never been ridden; akin to a virgin offering, something symbolically pure and perfect for a king. Roman soldiers would often commandeer beasts, and so could kings. Zechariah 9:9 is being fulfilled: Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion! Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem! Lo, your king comes to you; triumphant and victorious is he, humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

There’s a tension between royalty and humility, but the crowd sees only what it wants to see; a king, powerful and mighty, coming to save them from oppression. They throw their cloaks on the dirty road and wave branches (not just palms but reeds and foliage) in his honour. The time for joy hasn’t come. Not yet.

The voice of the donkey

“It’s strange how the day unfolded. Two men came and carefully untied me, and explained to my owner that I was needed. I’ve hardly left my mother’s side, but I felt strangely calm as I was led away. Picking my way down the hill, I saw a man unlike any other. He had the kindest eyes, and he slipped so lightly onto my back. People threw their best cloaks onto the ground as we walked, and I scuffed them in the dirt. Precious fabrics, ground into the dust, because of the man I carried. They waved branches, and they shouted and sang and yet they didn’t startle or frighten me… with this man I felt safe. We walked on and on, the crowds shouting ‘Hosanna, hosanna’, part of a song I hadn’t heard before. They seemed full of joy and hope! And yet I could sense a deep sadness, an ache in the man’s heart. I bore more than the weight of this man, and I wonder what he himself was carrying.”

Cloaks were precious to their owners, symbols of status as well as garments for warmth and protection. Throwing them on the ground before Jesus was an act of worship. Look around your house for your most treasured item. What would it take for you to give it away as an act of worship?

Prayer

Lord, you rode straight into the power of the enemy to suffer and die; give us the strength to follow you to the centres of oppression in this world, and the confidence which confronts power with love. Amen

Reflection by Dally Prendergast 


Now to the gate of my Jerusalem,

The seething holy city of my heart,

The saviour comes. But will I welcome him?

Oh crowds of easy feelings make a start;

They raise their hands, get caught up in the singing,

And think the battle won. Too soon they’ll find

The challenge, the reversal he is bringing

Changes their tune. I know what lies behind

The surface flourish that so quickly fades;

Self-interest, and fearful guardedness,

The hardness of the heart, its barricades,

And at the core, the dreadful emptiness

Of a perverted temple. Jesus  come

Break my resistance and make me your home. Malcolm Guite 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment