Friday, April 17, 2020

Boredom: Rev Bill Church writes



Alleluia! Christ is risen. He is risen indeed. Alleluia!

We received a nice postcard from one of our grandchildren, saying that they were getting bored with staying at home. I am getting bored too.
My previous  reaction would have been to see boredom as a sub-branch of the sin of Sloth, together with procrastination, despair and laziness.
But I read an article in the New Scientist which claimed boredom was a useful evolutionary mechanism. When ancient humans got bored, they were encouraged to try doing something new, and that something might have turned out to be useful.
I see the point. I have been trying new things to cook (no sniggers, please, from real cooks in the congregation).
Have any of them turned out to be useful enough to be repeated?
Wholemeal cheese scones – definitely.
Cherry flan – maybe.
Kimchi – well, let’s put that one down to experience.
However much I look forward to real congregations again, there will be things we have learned from Covid which will be useful and worth repeating.
                                        Rev Bill Church is also now a full time carer.

Teach me my God and King,
In all things thee to see;
And what I do in anything
To do it as for thee.

All may of thee partake;
Nothing can be so mean
Which with this tincture “for thy sake”
Will not grow bright and clean.

A servant with this clause
Makes drudgery divine;
Who sweeps a room as for thy laws
Makes that and the action fine.
George Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment