Thursday, April 16, 2020

Dorothy reflects from her garden

                                                                 Dorothy's garden on Palm Sunday 



Dorothy Toyn offers her take on Flowers & Gardening
Last week was very odd for me – normally I would be planning what flowers to buy for Easter for All Saints, asking for helpers, and planning who is doing what and where. This year, gardenwise, I was going to be extra busy as I had entered the ‘Bengeo Cottage Garden Society’ show which this year was to be on Easter Saturday. Would my daffodils last long enough and if so what class are they, do I have any blossom good enough to enter and what are the tulips doing? What flower arrangements can I do… I had it all planned out: prepare the church flowers, do my competition arrangements on Friday night and get them to the hall in Bengeo first  thing Saturday, then come to All Saints to arrange flowers for Easter, before going back to help at the show.
Instead, I was in my garden reflecting on the current circumstances, the problems, the beauty of nature, the glorious weather and how grateful I am that I have a garden at this time and that I love gardening. I grew up with 2 acres of garden in Broxbourne where I learned what to do from my grandfather and parents. My garden is looking good because I have the time to be out there tending it. While this time is so difficult; our prayers are for those who are so unwell and to the amazing people caring for them, those isolating (including close friends) and those so frightened, you need to look at the positives to be able to cope – the birdsong, wildlife, new life as the leaves unfurl and seeds begin to grow.
I have always loved the hymn  ‘All things bright & beautiful ‘– especially working in the garden and finding all the little bugs and creatures,  and it reminds me of David and Dani’s glorious and happy wedding nearly 2 years ago now.
‘All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All Things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all’
While visiting a lady through work last year I saw this wonderful  ‘gardeners’ version’. These are just a couple of verses…
‘But what we never mention,
Though gardeners know it’s true,
That when he made the good things,
He made the baddies too.
The greenfly in the roses,
The maggots in the peas.
Manure that fills our noses,
He also gave us these.’
Life is not always a bed of roses and we have to put up with what life throws at us (generally, and in the garden) but staying positive and looking for the best in things. I dearly hope the Lord will help us to find something new and good from all of this…


Canon Jo offers this prayer 
Oh Lord Jesus
true gardener
work in us what you want of us,
For you are indeed the true gardener
at once, maker and tiller
and keeper of your garden
you who plant with the word,
water with the spirit
and give your increase
with your power.

Cisterician Guerric of Igny 12th century



No comments:

Post a Comment