Friday, April 10, 2020

Good Friday: My Lament


                                  
Oh crucified Saviour, when we began Lent I shared with the congregation on our first Thursday that Lent was always hard, but I never expected this! It really has been a wilderness experience.
The news of people suffering, the deaths, the overworked NHS staff, huge new hospitals, the social distancing and isolation, the funerals of beloved church members, the closed church, the surreal silence - and now here we are on Good Friday:
I miss everyone. And I gather that many of us feel that way. Somehow social media, helpful as it is, still doesn’t feel the same. Lifted up on the cross, above the earth, away from loved ones, in physical and spiritual pain, you know Lord what it is to feel desolation.
Now in Holy Week, there have been no shouts of Hosanna on Palm Sunday, no footwashing, no sharing in the poignancy of the Last Supper, no prayers with others during Holy Week.
Oh yes, I have continued to pray and I have followed the virtual services but somehow I feel my foundations are shaking; I’ve taken out my baptism Crucifix, Christ dying alone, the wood marked by drops of rain and my tears over the years. You have held me through so much.
Lord, I call to you; I need you now, more than ever. Your cross shows me that through this uncertain mortal life you do go before me, behind me, above and beneath me. You willingly embraced the cross for me, for all people. Lead us through this dark time. Keep all of us safe. Above all, help us to go on trusting, even in the most challenging times, as you took up the cross, faithfully, hopefully. Help me to accept the cross today, on this Good Friday, and turn afresh to follow your Way.





Oh crucified redeemer,
you take away the sin of the world, you died to bring us eternal life:
hold us and forgive us,
and grant us your peace.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment