Sunday, December 6, 2020

Comfort

 

 


 

 

Helen reflects: Comfort my people…prepare the way of the Lord…every mountain and hill shall be made low…then the glory of the Lord shall be revealed…say to the cities of Judah, “Here is your God!” (Isaiah 40.)

 

When I read these words, or hear them being read, in my mind I hear the glorious music of Handel’s Messiah, so powerful and strong.  I usually play Part One of my Messiah CD during Advent; it helps me to concentrate and look forward to the coming of Jesus.  Somehow those Biblical texts penetrate the heart and mind when set to music.

 

This reading from Isaiah 40 for the second week in Advent ends with verse 11, a beautiful picture of how God regards us, his people.  “He will feed his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms, and carry them in his bosom, and gently lead the mother sheep.”  I can hear the Soprano and Alto duet reminding me of God’s unfailing love and tenderness, and I admit it makes me very emotional.

 

During this Advent time of waiting we can open our minds, even to the unexpected.  I particularly like this poem of Thom M Shuman “Every Evening”.

 


Every evening

it’s the same:

put the key in the deadbolt,

turn the lock;

check the windows

put out the cat;

leave a light on…

 

All those routines

to feel safe

and fall asleep in peace.

 

But some night,

in the midst of my security,

you will tiptoe into my house,

 

rearranging the furniture,

cracking the combination

of my heart,

and ransacking

all my fears;

 

then,

softly whistling

Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus,

you will slip out,

leaving the door

standing

wide open

 

that I might

follow you

into the kingdom.

 

Come, Lord Jesus!

Amen

 

© Thom M Shuman, Journeying through Advent

Taken from Candles & Conifers, Wild Goose Publications

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment