Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Prayers of Life Revisited: Symptoms

 


Symptoms. Oh no, another cough. It’s getting worse. At least I think it is. You can’t be too careful in this situation. And last night I woke up in a hot sweat, what was that about? Well, I certainly feel tired now, no thanks to that – or is it fatigue? That’s three now, all on the list of possible symptoms of the virus. And I swear my cornflakes and coffee this morning tasted of nothing much. Dear me.




We have to be wary; maintain space, avoid enclosed spaces, wear masks, wash hands, disinfect surfaces, avoid public transport, mustn’t see loved ones, no inessential trips, don’t touch your face, keep deliveries clear for 72 hours. A new ten commandments.

This lockdown and tiers system is a challenge, Lord, and I am struggling to get it right. I need help to keep to the rules, and the spirit of the rules, without becoming fearful or obsessional. I don’t want to feel anxious every time something feels uncomfortable or that every single thing needs to be cleaned and cleaned again. Guide me to be responsible in my actions and along with taking reasonable care to be true to my faith that I am held and loved in all things.




Lord, all our lives are ultimately in your hands, so whatever comes our way help us to be confident in you. We can only do so much to protect ourselves, so give us the strength to live as best we can in this time of uncertainty. Take away my anxiety in the face of this unpredictable pandemic and, through it, lead me to a deeper trust in you. 


Some while ago, Michel Quoist, a Catholic priest, published a book called Prayers of Life. It became extremely popular, as it took situations from everyday life, contemplated them and prayed about them. It encouraged a closeness or familiarity with God -  present in everyday events and observations - which made a profound contrast with the churches’ forms of worship at the time which were almost entirely the Book of Common Prayer and the Latin Mass, neither of which was particularly contemporary.

No comments:

Post a Comment