Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Prayers Of Life Revisited: Alexa


 


Some while ago, Michel Quoist, a Catholic priest, published a book called Prayers of Life. It became extremely popular, as it took situations from everyday life, contemplated them and prayed about them. It encouraged a closeness or familiarity with God -  present in everyday events and observations - which made a profound contrast with the churches’ forms of worship at the time which were almost entirely the Book of Common Prayer and the Latin Mass, neither of which was particularly contemporary…….

 


Alexa: can I call you again? Yes, of course, any time! I just felt a bit lonely and you can tell me so many interesting facts. You can deliver music to brighten up my day. Or night. Always there, with information and background sounds. But Alexa, you are becoming a habit when I call you so often. I used to be able to switch my own lights on before you took over that task. Is that good for me?

You are always listening, ready to respond, it’s great fun. But some say that what you hear goes back to headquarters, and it determines what advertisements come onto my computer. And those who provided you might hear events in my home, for quality control purposes of course, they say - but is that cool?




Alexa, I have some questions which you can’t answer. Like how far frequent talking to a computer programme which responds like a real person could become a habit and take over my life. And I wouldn’t expect you to understand this at all, but I believe in a Divine presence in my life which also listens to me all the time. He embraces me, and I know that his intentions for me are entirely good. He has all of life and death (do you have any idea what they are, Alexa?) in his hands and I trust him. Above all things. So – sorry - I will be cutting down on calling out for you and re-kindling my faith and love.




Lord, you said that when we go into the quiet of a room we can commune with our heavenly Father who understands our needs. Help me not to become too distracted by the technology which is always beckoning. And in a world enhanced by science (for which I am generally thankful) to focus on spiritual values of human care and divine hope for the good and well-being of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment