Thursday, December 3, 2020

Prayers of Life Revisited: Overwhelmed





Overwhelmed. I read the news today, oh boy. More infections, more deaths, more restrictions. We need the lockdown and the tier system to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed. But I feel overwhelmed just hearing about it, Lord. Those graphs seem to be levelling off at the moment, but who knows what will actually happen next. And if the situation really is so serious, and it is, isn’t it, how do I deal with those five days of Christmas? What, if anything, should I plan? And what will other people do?




I feel overwhelmed by the solemn pronouncements which are issued so regularly. In all honesty I live in a relatively good situation, but I can’t just live cosily in my own bubble of complacency and self-isolation. It disturbs me for my own being and for other people. Loss of livelihood and resources, with more and more shops, restaurants, pubs, airlines etc closing down or shedding employees like autumn trees have lost their leaves. I care. And I worry for people with few resources to fall back on.




I can see that is why we hear talk about the mental health of the nation. It is upsetting to think of the hardship that many people are under, and the thought that apart from money concerns there remains the threat posed by the virus. Feeling overwhelmed is a mental health issue, and life always has the potential to cause that sudden shock which disturbs, yet now that uncertainty is so widespread.

This world brings many changes, it always has, but right now they can threaten to overwhelm us. I look to God for a sense of her nurturing, protecting presence and abiding love. I am holding on as best I can and I want to carry others in hope.




Lord, when we feel overwhelmed reach out to calm and reassure us. When the storms of life threaten to sink our fragile boat, speak your word of peace to our hearts. Save me from the luxury of self-pity that I may remain faithful to sharing your loving ways with others, for nothing in all creation can separate us from you. 


Prayers of Life revisited….

Some while ago, Michel Quoist, a Catholic priest, published a book called Prayers of Life. It became extremely popular, as it took situations from everyday life, contemplated them and prayed about them. It encouraged a closeness or familiarity with God -  present in everyday events and observations - which made a profound contrast with the churches’ forms of worship at the time which were almost entirely the Book of Common Prayer and the Latin Mass, neither of which was particularly contemporary…….

No comments:

Post a Comment